When you were a kid, were you like me and wish you could have your birthday more than once a year? Like at least twice right?? I mean, the party, the presents, the fun! Why shouldn’t we get to celebrate our very own day more than once a year? It didn’t seem fair to me when I was little! It was just a shame to limit such a special day to just one!
Well, now that I am older and rapidly approaching a certain age that seemed so very far away when I was much younger, I am all for having a birthday ban. Maybe every other year at most! Or, like my brother who was born Leap Day, a birthday every four years! That seems fair. The trouble with birthdays though, no matter if you want them more than once a year or not at all, they still roll around! But, as God reminded me a few years ago when I was griping about reaching a certain milestone age, there is the alternative. So, I guess I’ll take the birthday’s!
Today happens to be my birthday- hence the topic of today’s article. So, to honor all of you who are approaching a certain age you thought was a long way off, I have compiled a list of the good, bad and ugly of approaching a milestone year:
The Bad Things People Say:
- “You look good for blankety blank age.” Really? Like, why can’t I just look good?
- “It’s all downhill from here.” Why? Why can’t it be uphill? Why can’t this time of my life be even better?
- “Do you feel old?” Ummm…No. Should I?
- The Reader glasses
- The inability to eat what I want because of stupid slowing metabolism- did I mention I LOVE chocolate so this is a major sacrifice!
- Realizing that I am really not in my thirties anymore! I still feel like I am!
- The freedom from worrying about what others think and stepping into who I truly am! I encourage all, no matter what age you are, to do the same!
- This is just the beginning and not the end! I still have purpose!
- Learning not to be in denial of my age and embracing life where I am for the moment because life is a blessing and every moment is a treasure!
Enjoy each day you have here, do not take one for granted and be thankful for each breath God puts in your lungs. “The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”Job 33:4 So I will celebrate another birthday and be thankful that I can and look forward to an amazing year ahead!